< < < back to portfolio…

Oscar Mayer Deli-Fresh Promo

Every now and then you find yourself in a tricky situation with a client where you have to try to explain to them why their idea probably isn’t necessarily the best. This is a touchy area, because you definitely don’t want to insult the client, but sometimes they really need the guidance of a designer. That was the case when the team from Weber Shandwick called me about the Deli-Fresh project. The team had seen the work I had done for the Kraft Grate-It-Fresh project and wanted to do something similar with the Oscar Mayer Deli-Fresh product. Their idea was to overnight packets of Oscar Mayer Deli-Fresh Lunch Meat to different magazine editors around the country. It had worked so well with the cheese, why wouldn’t it work with lunch meat? Images of people being rushed to the hospital with Salmonella Poisoning or boxes being left unattended on peoples desks over a long holiday weekend, surrounded by flies and foul smells started to fill my mind. I had to tactfully explain to the client why I didn’t think it was such a good idea. Thankfully, they understood exactly where I was coming from and agreed to let me come up with something a little safer.

Wanting to play off of the concept behind the product, I decided to go with a deli counter/refrigerator theme. To really play up the deli vibe, the outside of the kit was designed to look like a packet of meat you would buy from a deli. To get just the right look, a book was placed into a padded envelope and then wrapped in butcher paper. The package was then photographed cleaned up in Photoshop before the Deli-Fresh logo was finally added. The final promo kits were shrink wrapped and shipped without any additional envelope/packaging so that the exposed pieces were visible throughout the entire delivery stage.

The inside of the kit was the most challenging. Not wanting the design to be a simple, flat, two-dimensional piece, I decided to design the deli case as a pop-up. Off to the bookstore I went, in search of as many pop-up books as I could get my hands on. It was time for some serious paper engineering. It took multiple mock-ups, and more sketching and measuring than I care to remember, but when all was said and done, I had a fully functioning pop-up and a die template to go along with it. After dropping the files off at the printer, their in-house paper engineer actually called to thank me for all the work I had put into the piece. The printer actually sent me a refund for some of the cost since he hadn’t had to do anything with the files.

The end product turned out really well and the client was super happy with it.

Samples